September Stuff to Do
Although we hate to see the carefree living of summer pass, September brings renewed effort in the Here are some tasks to keep your garden looking its best well into the fall:
- Fall is for planting! Add trees and shrubs to your gardens.
- Continue to feed and dead-head your hanging baskets and container plants - they will often keep going until the first frost.
- As the annuals in your garden begin to fade, it is time to start taking them out and plant pansies, kale and chrysanthemums.
- PLANT BULBS! A little effort now means beautiful tulips, daffodils and crocus in the spring.
- Start to divide herbaceous perennials as the weather cools. Make sure you water in the new divisions well.
- Keep harvesting your vegetables until frost. Now is a good time to put in a second rotation of lettuce, spinach, kale and beans.
- Aerate, lime and seed your lawn so it will look fantastic next year.
- Go to an orchard and pick apples. (Feel free to send us an apple pie!).
- You know they are coming. Build a compost bin for fallen leaves.