There is so much to be done in October that perhaps we should call it Plantober! Let's get started:
- We are still in a good time period to over-seed your lawn. While you are at it, get a soil test and apply lime to adjust its pH. Aeration will greatly improve water, air and fertilizer movement too.
- Get a jump on spring by planting bulbs now. Tulips, daffodils, crocus and hyacinths in tons of colors will really brighten your garden next year.
- Fall is for planting. Shrubs, trees and perennials planted now require less water and will go through less stress.
- Do not prune spring blooming shrubs like Azaleas, Pieris and Rhododendrons now. They have already set buds and you will be pruning them off.
- Winterize your underground irrigation system soon to avoid broken pipes.
- Buy lots of candy!! Halloween is at the end of the month(duh)!!
This is a great time to be outside. Enjoy!