What You Need To Know About Mosquitoes and Zika Virus in Maryland
Enjoying the nice weather this winter? While it has been very pleasant, the warm temperatures are going to create a very bad year for mosquitoes. Here is what to keep in mind to protect yourself and your family from mosquitoes and Zika Virus in Maryland.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that the Zika Virus is “scarier than we initially thought” (CDC Statement). Maryland is expected to be within the range of states affected by the Asian Tiger Mosquito, the vector of Zika Virus. The CDC has lobbied Congress for $1.9 billion to combat the mosquito-borne virus. As summer approaches, officials are warning that mosquito eradication efforts, lab tests and vaccine research may not be able to catch up.
What can you do to protect yourself and your family? As it turns out, there are some simple actions you can take so that you can still enjoy the outdoors.
- Empty all planters, bird baths, children’s toys and similar objects regularly. Standing water gives mosquitoes a place for mosquito eggs to develop and hatch. It only takes a small amount of standing water to be a sufficient environment for them to lay their eggs.
- If there are an areas with standing water in your lawn or landscape, those drainage situations need to be fixed. Allentuck Landscaping Co. is well versed in drainage solutions.
- Ensure that there are no open routes for mosquitoes to enter your home by checking your window screens.
- Wear long sleeve shirts and long pants, and remember to apply repellent early and often when outside.
- Use citronella candles on your patio. If you use Tiki torches, use fuels that contain citronella oil as well.
- There are many plants that repel insects including mosquitoes. Use them in pots and planters around your patio. For more information on these plants, visit https://www.allentucklandscaping.com/plants-that-repel-mosquitos/
Allentuck Landscaping Co. offers Mosquito & Tick Guard service as a way to ensure that you and your family can safely enjoy your outdoor areas. We use an organic product that kills and repels harmful insects such as mosquitoes, ticks and gnats, but does not harm beneficial insects such as bees, butterflies and ladybugs. It is non-toxic to pets and people.
To find out more about our our service, visit our Mosquito & Tick Guard page, call us at 301-515-1900, or use the contact form on this page.
9 Hot Ideas For Your Backyard Landscape
Lawn Care That Is Child Safe, Pet Safe, Earth Safe
Remember, Allentuck Landscaping Co. is always here to help you design, install, construct and maintain you lawn and landscape. Give us a call!
Allentuck Landscaping Co. is Your Residential Landscape Company
Phone: 301-5-515-1900 Email: email@example.com
At Allentuck Landscaping Co., our mission is to create beautiful environments for people to enjoy. We see landscaping as a way to improve people’s lives.
The Allentuck Landscaping Co. team has been delighting homeowners in Maryland, Washington DC and Northern Virginia for over 28 years with our turnkey approach to landscape design, installation, construction and maintenance. Most companies try to serve many types of customers at the same time; homeowners, shopping centers, office buildings and the list goes on. At Allentuck Landscaping Co., we focus on one customer, you, the homeowner. We have a singular focus on bringing you the best landscape practices, the best customer service, and the best value for your home.
Services Provide - Master Landscape Plans, Complete Maintenance Programs, Plantings, Patios, Walkways, Retaining Walls, Water Features, Outdoor Lighting, Outdoor Kitchens, Trellises & Pergolas, Irrigation Systems, Drainage Solutions, Grading & Sodding. Fire Pits & Fire Places, Spring Clean Ups, Decks, Fences
Areas Served - Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Potomac, Rockville, North Potomac, Darnestown, Gaithersburg, Germantown, Boyds, Clarksburg, Ijamsville, Urbana, Frederick and Washington DC.